Before I go do some good ol' homework, I have some things I've been thinking about and want to write down on "paper."
In my English class today my teacher had us write a journal entry about why shootings like the ones at Columbine High and Virginia Tech happen here in the US. I wrote a lot of things, but I want to let this out, because it has been bothering me since the unfortunate event occurred yesterday.
I wrote in my journal about the fact that the student could have had some mental problems. It turns out that the student, Cho Seung-Hui was indeed on anti-depressant medication, and had shown violent behavior recently. Personally, I think that people like Cho need to be isolated from people until their medication has proven that it works. Events like this usually happen with untreated and, in this case, improperly treated people. The students who shot up Columbine were known to be troubled teenagers.
It troubles me that people are out there that could at any moment harm an innocent individual because they have their own issues. It also angers me that these people are usually let loose after being given medication, as if it is assumed that they will not do harm to themselves or others. Doctors should admit the patients that could become harmful to others or themselves, and wait until improvement is shown and they prove they will keep up with their medication. Then and only then should they be released to go about their normal lifestyle.
I also wrote that parents could also be the culprits. Think about it; some parents just neglect their children and allow them to do things that they should not, for example, drinking before 21 or partaking in drugs with "friends". Sometimes these parents beat their children and harass them, verbally, physically, and/or sexually. These happenings can usually cause these children to do such things.
Even peers could be of blame. I was teased throughout school until high school, but I was one of the fortunate ones that turned out to not be violent or abusive. Some people do not take the pain as well as I, however. Fights break out, people get hurt, schooling gets interrupted when the students are suspended/expelled, and families are affected when they have to send their children to counseling. The child's entire life is turned around, and so is everyone's around them.
Also, peers could be negative influences. For example, some "friends" of the child could tell them that drinking and taking drugs is OK, causing them to be sucked into a whirlwind of addiction, abuse, and possible violent behavior under the influence. A student could come into school under the influence, causing violence to strike when and if provoked.
My point, friends, is to be kind to one another. Know what is right and wrong. Love one another.
Today, we are all Hokies.
In my English class today my teacher had us write a journal entry about why shootings like the ones at Columbine High and Virginia Tech happen here in the US. I wrote a lot of things, but I want to let this out, because it has been bothering me since the unfortunate event occurred yesterday.
I wrote in my journal about the fact that the student could have had some mental problems. It turns out that the student, Cho Seung-Hui was indeed on anti-depressant medication, and had shown violent behavior recently. Personally, I think that people like Cho need to be isolated from people until their medication has proven that it works. Events like this usually happen with untreated and, in this case, improperly treated people. The students who shot up Columbine were known to be troubled teenagers.
It troubles me that people are out there that could at any moment harm an innocent individual because they have their own issues. It also angers me that these people are usually let loose after being given medication, as if it is assumed that they will not do harm to themselves or others. Doctors should admit the patients that could become harmful to others or themselves, and wait until improvement is shown and they prove they will keep up with their medication. Then and only then should they be released to go about their normal lifestyle.
I also wrote that parents could also be the culprits. Think about it; some parents just neglect their children and allow them to do things that they should not, for example, drinking before 21 or partaking in drugs with "friends". Sometimes these parents beat their children and harass them, verbally, physically, and/or sexually. These happenings can usually cause these children to do such things.
Even peers could be of blame. I was teased throughout school until high school, but I was one of the fortunate ones that turned out to not be violent or abusive. Some people do not take the pain as well as I, however. Fights break out, people get hurt, schooling gets interrupted when the students are suspended/expelled, and families are affected when they have to send their children to counseling. The child's entire life is turned around, and so is everyone's around them.
Also, peers could be negative influences. For example, some "friends" of the child could tell them that drinking and taking drugs is OK, causing them to be sucked into a whirlwind of addiction, abuse, and possible violent behavior under the influence. A student could come into school under the influence, causing violence to strike when and if provoked.
My point, friends, is to be kind to one another. Know what is right and wrong. Love one another.
Today, we are all Hokies.

No comments:
Post a Comment